This is full time position
The term of this contract will be 2 years
The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.
Purpose & Operating Network
The successful candidate will assist IG’s Policy Advisor, in providing legal support to the Inspector General and IG Divisions on various legal issues concerning IG’s activity, in particular on complex contract reviews. The lawyer will report to the Policy Advisor.
- Reviewing integrity provisions in contractual documentation
- Preparing and writing draft opinions and reports
- Discussing internally in IG and with other EIB services the various aspects and consequences of the cases
- Involvement in the preparation of working platform and procedural aspects of the new EIB Sanction Mechanism. S/he will have regular contact with key staff in the other Directorates
- Ensure follow-up and check implementation of IG’s recommendations relating to legal documentation:
- Carrying out legal and policy researches
- Analyse legal aspects relating to IG’s activities
- Drafting appropriate note to file and other administrative documents in connection with above activities
- Participate, at request, to activities carried out by other IG divisions
- University degree in Law, preferably admitted to the Bar
- At least 3 years professional experience in contract law, EU law, criminal law
- An adequate specialisation (LLM) or experience in the legal and/or control aspects of the EU or IFIs would be an advantage.
- Some basic knowledge regarding legal and institutional aspects of IFIs and EU Institutional framework, in particular related to controls, sanction mechanisms, fraud investigations, accountability/complaints mechanisms, environmental and social impacts, international organisations and/or relations with Civil Society Organisations
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Excellent knowledge and writing skills of English and French(*). German would be considered as a strong asset. Knowledge of another EU language would be an advantage.
- Judgement and decision making
Exercises good judgement in making proposals, considering all the available sources of information and alternatives. Expresses clear and rational reasons for making a proposal.
- Organisational awareness
Demonstrates an awareness and understanding of the structure, politics and objectives of the organisation and considers how these may impact on situations and issues.
- Developing relationships
Easily establishes and develops effective and positive professional relationships with others.
Takes a co-operative approach within the team, sharing knowledge and information. Seeks to promote harmony within the team and contributes to team processes
(*) There may be certain flexibility on this requirement, but limited to particularly suitable candidates who may not yet be proficient in one of the two languages. If selected, such candidates will be hired on the condition that they build up rapidly knowledge of the relevant language and accept that their future career in the EIB may be subject to the attainment of sufficient proficiency in both of the Bank’s working languages
Deadline for applications: 12th May 2015
We believe that Diversity is good for our people and our business. We promote and value diversity and inclusion among our staff and candidates; irrespective of their gender, age, nationality, race, culture, education and experience, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or disability